Monday, February 5, 2007

PHILIPS DVP5960 DVD Player

A new addition to my home theater system. DVP5960I have been looking for a decent upscaling DVD player for a while and this one definitely fits the bill on every aspect: DVD upscaling throught HDMI connection, DivX support and most important of all, a front USB port that can directly read audio and video files off a USB compitible storage device (thumb drive or external HD). Setup was far easier than I thought. I planed to connect the player with my Onkyo receiver via HDMI port and use the receiver as a HDMI switch. Base on my bitter experience with Comcast HD box (needs firmware upgrade) and Samsung upscaling DVD recorder (HDMI version incompatible), I thought this connection schema was going to be a problem. To my surprise, once everything was connected, both audio and video worked right on. I have also tried the USB interface with a few DivX videos downloaded from Stage6, no problem (the USB drive needs to be formatted to FAT first). There are sure some minor issues with it: for a starter, there is no optical audio. This might be a problem if your receiver doesn't have HDMI switching and you need to connect to TV and Receiver separately. The USB interface is rather rudimentary, file names are displayed in short format. The remote could have been made better too (again, not a problem for me as I have taught my Universal URC-300 remote some new tricks). As most of my video collections are in RMVB format (don't ask me where I got them. Coz if I tell you, I'd have to kill you ;), I need to convert them into DivX now. Here is a guide I found on internet. Now, I'm in the market for a 500GB external harddrive...